put a dragon on it. or a bird.

Pink dragon Bag

So when I was an obsessed art student in my tiny duplex apartment, I spent a great deal of time cutting Japanese paper stencils with an x-acto knife.  I still have the scars to prove it and obviously some of the stencils survived the 6 plus moves after they were so diligently cut.  I am trying to remember why I did that. Nope got nothing.  Oh wait I remember I was making scarves. Wow another issue I have, scarves. I still make them to this very day. Back to the purses. I love a good vintage bag and have a ton, so on a nice 60 degree day I gathered up my stencils and my bags and headed outside. I say 60 degree because I have found that it is a good temperature for spray paint. Too hot and the paint never cures, too cold and it dries too fast and you are also cold. I sprayed a light dusting of spray adhesive on the back and let it dry a bit.  Spray adhesive is really nasty stuff so make sure to wear a mask.  One time I inhaled a puff and had a nice coating of ick on my throat for days.  I let it dry a bit because I did not want it to leave a residue on the bag. Once my stencil was in place I sprayed and let dry in the shade. Usually one coat would do it, in some cases I added another layer.  I still have ton of bags they just have birds or dragons on them (thank you Portlandia)

P1020678 P1020668 P1020664 P1020670

 

the Chuppah challenge.

In a collaborative effort with my friend Sarah we created a Chuppah for our friends that were getting married. Sarah and I have complementary talents so as she let loose on the beautiful painting, I figured out the structure.  She did this free hand by the way, she is awesome.

chuppah

I had the challenge of creating a structure to do this beautiful painting justice. I would like to add here that Heidi and Seth trusted us completely and only told us the colors they wanted us to use. As you know  I drive a small car, so I needed to make so I could collapse it and fit into my Honda Fit.  I started with some scrap wood I had that conveintly already had hinges on it, and cut it to the size of the painting so that two sides would be attached and two sides would kinda drape.

IMG_4028

I then set out to make the support system.  Still keeping in mind that I had to transport this in my little car, and it had to stand up.  So I purchased  “gasp” some inexpensive 2 by 2 pieces of wood, four matching plastic pots and some quick-setting cement.  After rigging up a crazy leveling system from the beams of my garage I filled each pot with the cement, made sure the wood was level and quickly walked away before I messed with it too much.

IMG_4025

Here they are all dried up.  I drilled a 5/8 hole in the top of each wood post and inserted a hanger bolt of the same size. I dug up sort of matching washers and wing nuts that fit the bolts.

IMG_4027

I then stretched the painting out,  stapled two of the sides, and attached these braces.

IMG_4026

I had to enlarge the corner hole with my drill so it would slip over the hanger bolt when I attached the top to the wood supports.  At this point my husband arrived to help me attach it so that I could figure what other supports I would need so it wouldn’t twist.  Throwing bungee cords over the ceiling structure of the garage to hold it so I could think it through. Using the scraps I made 45 degree miter cuts and attached them to the wood support. (coincidentally this is when I nicked my finger)

IMG_3650

If you look closely you can see my cryptic little markings that hopefully would make it easier to match up the support to posts when I was setting it up for the ceremony.  It almost worked but my orange and red marks looked the same when dry.  Learn something new every day!  At this point I took it down and rolled up the painting and gathered the rest of my supplies and tools I would need.  Fingers crossed and a grumpy teenager in tow we headed out on this ridiculously hot day to make a quick stop at Joann‘s fabrics and get some ribbon and well fabric.  I chose the lightweight ivory muslin that was 118 wide so I got a lot of bang for my buck. With the generous help of the father of the bride, we got it up. No thanks to the grumpy teenager.  I tacked all the fabric up using good old-fashioned thumbtacks and tied it off with ribbons to make it complete. I think it turned out pretty darn nice.  I do think the beautiful setting helped a bit.

IMG_3655 IMG_3653 IMG_3652

MAZEL TOV!! Heidi and Seth.

 

new work gloves

 

 

 

IMG_3136

These look super comfy, padded palms, good fit and cheap, score.  I had no idea that they could operate my iphone with these dainty little flower prints.  I am so excited taking picture after picture with gloves on !!!!!   Day two…..lesson learned, don’t wear these gloves while painting.