While whiling around the dungeon I discovered a half lamp. As my disorders dictate this is a normal occurrence at my house. The gray skies that drove me down here in the first place had not yet dispersed and the organizing was not going well, so I finished the lamp. I have nowhere to put it, but it is done. It all began with a film canister.
1. drill a hole the size of threaded rod in the canister. slowly…… It gets really hot.
2. widen the hole on the film reel with the same drill bit.
3. glue the canister sides back to back. This makes a space on the bottom to add weight and run the cord, and creates a dish for change or jewelry or whatever.
4. add weights, I reused weights (which are basically heavy pieces of metal) from another lamp and secured them with washer and a nut to the threaded rod.
5. This is the trickiest things about making lamps, everything has to come together so when you put on the socket at the top it all fits together tightly. In order for my second story to stay up I supported it from the top and bottom with aluminum camping pole scraps. I cut them to the appropriate size using a tube cutter. I really need a new blade.
6. now that everything is on the rod, screw on the bottom half of the socket and make sure it is all going to be happy together.
7. run the cord from the bottom up and attach it to the socket.
8. pull the excess cord down and snap the socket all into place with the sleeve.
9. test the connections by plugging the lamp into wall and using a light bulb, of course.
10. put your lamp shade on and Voila` (that is for you Nicky:)
Now I guess I’ll put it back in the basement.