the Chuppah challenge.

In a collaborative effort with my friend Sarah we created a Chuppah for our friends that were getting married. Sarah and I have complementary talents so as she let loose on the beautiful painting, I figured out the structure.  She did this free hand by the way, she is awesome.

chuppah

I had the challenge of creating a structure to do this beautiful painting justice. I would like to add here that Heidi and Seth trusted us completely and only told us the colors they wanted us to use. As you know  I drive a small car, so I needed to make so I could collapse it and fit into my Honda Fit.  I started with some scrap wood I had that conveintly already had hinges on it, and cut it to the size of the painting so that two sides would be attached and two sides would kinda drape.

IMG_4028

I then set out to make the support system.  Still keeping in mind that I had to transport this in my little car, and it had to stand up.  So I purchased  “gasp” some inexpensive 2 by 2 pieces of wood, four matching plastic pots and some quick-setting cement.  After rigging up a crazy leveling system from the beams of my garage I filled each pot with the cement, made sure the wood was level and quickly walked away before I messed with it too much.

IMG_4025

Here they are all dried up.  I drilled a 5/8 hole in the top of each wood post and inserted a hanger bolt of the same size. I dug up sort of matching washers and wing nuts that fit the bolts.

IMG_4027

I then stretched the painting out,  stapled two of the sides, and attached these braces.

IMG_4026

I had to enlarge the corner hole with my drill so it would slip over the hanger bolt when I attached the top to the wood supports.  At this point my husband arrived to help me attach it so that I could figure what other supports I would need so it wouldn’t twist.  Throwing bungee cords over the ceiling structure of the garage to hold it so I could think it through. Using the scraps I made 45 degree miter cuts and attached them to the wood support. (coincidentally this is when I nicked my finger)

IMG_3650

If you look closely you can see my cryptic little markings that hopefully would make it easier to match up the support to posts when I was setting it up for the ceremony.  It almost worked but my orange and red marks looked the same when dry.  Learn something new every day!  At this point I took it down and rolled up the painting and gathered the rest of my supplies and tools I would need.  Fingers crossed and a grumpy teenager in tow we headed out on this ridiculously hot day to make a quick stop at Joann‘s fabrics and get some ribbon and well fabric.  I chose the lightweight ivory muslin that was 118 wide so I got a lot of bang for my buck. With the generous help of the father of the bride, we got it up. No thanks to the grumpy teenager.  I tacked all the fabric up using good old-fashioned thumbtacks and tied it off with ribbons to make it complete. I think it turned out pretty darn nice.  I do think the beautiful setting helped a bit.

IMG_3655 IMG_3653 IMG_3652

MAZEL TOV!! Heidi and Seth.

 

4 thoughts on “the Chuppah challenge.

  1. Hi ladies ~~ you did an absolutely fabulous job; and this post is terrific! You really should go into business!
    Mom Tolchinsky

    Like

  2. This was the most special Chuppah I have ever seen. Not only did it accent Heidi and Seth’s special day, it became a memory to have for a lifetime. That it was made with friendship, only adds to the beauty. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s